Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Women's Retreat Recap! {And A New Outlook On Friendship}

This little space on the web holds so much of my heart. When I go back to read through past posts {which I do} I'm reminded not only of the beautiful things as it relates to my family, but I'm also reminded of the things that God has done in my personal life and how much my life has been greatly enhanced over the past year since we became planted in our current church home {I wrote a little bit about that journey here; you can find more under my "Christianity" link}.

The word "fulfillment" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of what this church has given me. Entering into this family was something that happened at a much needed time in my {our} life. Among other wonderful things that have transpired since first visiting one year ago this month, is the friendships that we have formed. We truly feel that we are doing life with people arm and arm.

I've never been one to have a close circle of many girlfriends. I just didn't see it positively working for those around me and it was clear why...all of those "friends" [at one time or another] became competitive, gossipy, catty, jealous and judgmental of one another. The friendships didn't seem pure. So why be in them? I have always chosen my friendships carefully - and now that I am giving it thought, I observe people for a bit before moving forward in getting to know them more. Which means...I am naturally inclined to be guarded at first and keep people at bay before bringing them close. I'm not sure this is the best method to follow but it has meant that my friendships usually evolve over time, rather than being instantaneous, and that's the pace that I have been most comfortable with.

Since becoming a wife and a mother, I really yearned for quality women to come into my life. Admittingly, I silently hoped for it, instead of outwardly praying for it. I knew that God knew the desires of my heart and so I just "waited". And waited, and waited and waited. And then I realized I should probably be intentional about praying for my desire to come to fruition. It was around this time that we joined our current church home...and my prayer came to pass.

My assumption about how hard it would be to form real relationships with the women within my church {because I was so jaded from past experiences at my former church} was dismissed within a short time - and I could feel my walls coming down. They were intentional in a genuine, disarming way, about wanting to get to know me....and what had been a fault of mine, in that I can spend quite a bit of time dissecting people in my head, found that I was now accepting people for who they were - just as they were accepting me for who I am. In my new friendships, I have learned a great lesson. And wow, what fulfilling friendships they have become.

I didn't plan on making all of the above a preface to the photos of our AMAZING Women's Retreat - but perhaps it was intended that I wrote all of that as maybe there's someone who will read this and can relate. All of the women that I was surrounded by this past weekend hold a place in my heart. Some of us may have deeper levels of friendships because of the length of time in which we have known someone, or shared commonalities means that time spent together happens more often than with others, but in that circle of women, you know that any one of them will be there for you, without hesitation, for any reason at all.

I took hundreds of photos over the weekend but as to not overload you with a bunch of pictures of people you don't even know, I'll keep them to a minimum ; )

Thursday afternoon, Sunny {our Pastor's wife} and I carpooled up to Big Canoe together. I sent her a text earlier that morning forewarning her that when she arrived it would look like I was moving out of my home! Ha! I was in charge of "atmosphere" so I took A LOT of stuff!


The homes were as beautiful as they looked in the photos. After we dropped our stuff in our rooms, we immediately got hard at work, making food and prepping everything to look beautiful for when the other women arrived...






After welcoming the women and everyone settling in with some food and delicious desserts, we played pictionary before our evening session - and let me tell you...it was hilarious!!...



We had a session Friday morning, and as with every session, we do a fun ice-breaker game beforehand. This one was a staring competition. Oh man....it was GREAT!! On the left is our Worship Leader, Salie, who started singing to Mariam {on the right} hoping to get her to blink and break her stare! It didn't work. Mariam has four kids and has that "mother's look" that none of her children, or anyone else, can break! Lol!....


Our morning session was wonderful and we were reminded that we all share the commonality of having God's name tatoo'd on our hearts. After the session, everyone had a few hours of free time to do leisurely activities if they so chose. Most people went hiking. At 1:30 p.m. we all gathered back together for a light lunch that consisted of a mini salad bar!...


Our evening session started with another fun ice-breaker of who could blow the biggest bubble. It was COMEDY!....



We played some fun group games for a few hours and then it was onto dinner! {Yes, we ate a lot!}. This time we took to the grill!....




Some women stayed indoors to make mashed potatoes and other side dishes....


Here's a pic of me and my roomie, Laura Jane! A young lady with a big heart! She is in our church's school of ministry program. I have sooo loved getting to know her!!....

And here is me and Dawn! Dawn and her husband are an intricate part of our church. They have five children but are so actively involved - huge servants with big hearts! We just love them!! We sit next to them every Sunday : ) ....


Me and my girlfriend Rhonda!!!! Rhonda, I love you!!!!! Whether we're at the movies, out to lunch or dinner, or just sitting next to each other, we have a great time! I can't get enough of this girl! She has a hilarious husband and they have two little boys, one of which is Ilah's exact age : )...


After dinner on Friday night, we had a great evening session, and then it was time to set up the hot chocolate bar and get ready for our "Friday Night Flannel Fashion Show". Oh.my.goodness. It was HYSTERICAL. But I'm keeping those photos private ; )


Saturday was our departure day. After breakfast we had an INCREDIBLE morning session....but not before doing another fun ice-breaker game. Do you see the cookies being passed around?...


They were for this game....


Try to get the cookie from your eye into your mouth!....



Our Saturday morning session was powerful. Our other sessions focused on girlfriends, and loving one another, but now it was time to focus on ourselves. Every woman received a piece of paper to write down her dreams on....five things that you are believing God for. We were encouraged to dream big because after-all, we have a BIG God! While I was writing down my dreams, I got so emotional...to the point where I was sobbing and just couldn't control it. I just felt the spirit of God so strong as I was writing out what I was believing Him for and His presence overtook me. I felt though, that that was coming. I rarely cry and when I do, especially in a setting in which intentional prayer is taking place, it's as if my tears are carrying me from one place to another in the spiritual world. When I looked up, I discovered that I wasn't alone in my tears. There were several other woman who were being touched by God in the same way. After our dreams were written out, we turned to the person to our right and privately prayed out-loud {but quietly} over her dreams. Oh wow. It was amazing. AMAZING. Such a bonding moment too. After that we then wrote down five things that we wanted to release and give to God. We then placed that piece of paper inside of a tiny envelope and attached them to balloons....


And together, we released them....




Out on the deck, surrounded by the beautiful nature that God created, our Pastor concluded our weekend together...


Set up in the living room, was a cork board with envelopes pinned on it. One of the things that we did throughout our stay, was leave little inspiring notes to each other, letting everyone know a beautiful quality that we see in them. At the end of the retreat, every woman took home an envelope with their name on it and was reminded of how beautiful and valuable they are!...

This weekend a few things happened: God poured into us, and we poured into each other. And friendships were taken to a new level.

I enjoyed assisting with the planning of this retreat, and baking delicious desserts to be enjoyed throughout the weekend....but what I mostly loved was the way in which I felt a part of these women's lives, and truly feeling that they are a part of mine. The notes that I received were so touching. So, so, so touching. I am immensely thankful for the sisterhood that I have come into.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...