Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Recipe: Tomato Florentine Pasta Bake

As I noted in my menu planning post last week, on the list was Tomato Florentine Pasta Bake. I've made something similiar before {baked ziti}, but my husband and I both agreed that this recipe is sooo much better. I think it's because the sauce is in essence made from scratch {whereas in the baked ziti you use jarred spaghetti sauce} and the combined ingredients make this dish so flavorful. I actually found this recipe for Tomato Florentine Pasta Bake as I was going through my Sunday newspaper a few weeks ago. I'm so glad that I gave it a try!! Super easy, super yummy!! Oh how I looove pasta!!




I had planned on making Tiramisu for dessert to go with this dish but we paid a trip to Aldi and I came across Gelato!! But not just any ol plain' gelato...Raspberry Almond Fudge Gelato!! And it is SOOOO gooood!!!


TOMATO FLORENTINE PASTA BAKE

Makes: 8 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: about 35 minutes, plus pasta; standing time: 5 minutes

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added or regular tomato sauce
1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added or regular tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 ounces penne or other tube pasta
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese {I doubled it}


Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add turkey and onion and cook 7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is softened. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, sugar, cinnamon, garlic powder and red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions; drain. Stir pasta and well-drained spinach into sauce and mix well. Spread 1/2 of the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread ricotta evenly over pasta. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through; let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Per serving: 352 calories, 33 grams protein, 8 grams fat (21 percent calories from fat), 4.0 grams saturated fat, 38 grams carbohydrate, 75 milligrams cholesterol, 232 milligrams sodium, 4 grams fiber.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...