Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

How To Make Pacifier Clips

To keep Ilah's pacifiers from falling on the floor {whether by them falling on accident, or now by her taking them out of her mouth and purposely dropping them on the floor....yes, that stage has arrived} - or risking them getting lost while we're out - I attach them to pacifer clips. I've purchased several different kinds since Ilah was born. Some I felt had too heavy of a clip-on attachment and I discontinued using them, and on others, I found the clip-on to be too flimsy and ultimately, they ended up breaking. Since I couldn't have known the quality of these pacifer clips until I got home from the store and opened the package, or received my online order in the mail, I chanced that they were made well.

If you're a mom who has purchased pacifier clips, than like me, you've spent at least $3 - $7 on just one {just a basic pacifer clip, not even anything fancy}. The ones I purchased were from Babies-R-Us, and the ones that I ordered online came from various sellers on Etsy. As the clip-on portion of the pacifer clips started to break one by one, I ended up coming down to just two remaining pacifer clips that were funtional. So this week I actually picked up the pacifier clips, studied them....and decided to make my own. Especially after adding it up in my head that I could make about 40 for the price of 1! But I didn't make 40...I only made 8 : ) Let's not overdo things, eh?!

I bought a few spools of ribbon on sale for $1 each. Each 2 pack of clips were .75 cents each. Velcro dots were $3.29. I could have pulled up and printed a Joanne's coupon {that maybe would have saved me 20% - which is 65 cents - no huge savings, so no big deal}. Other items needed, which I already had on hand were scissors, a glue gun, hot glue, and super glue.



Velcro dots come in two different types. Those you can sew on, or those that have a sticky back. Since I don't sew, I got the ones with the sticky back adhesive....


So here is the super easy step-by-step instructions for making your own pacifier clips. I had fun making these - especially knowing that my daughter is wearing/using something made by her mommy : )

1.) Cut ribbon to your desired length....

2.) Place the ribbon through the hole found on the clasp.....


3.) Bring a small amount of ribbon all the way through the hole. Using a gluegun, administer glue to the back of the ribbon and press down to seal....


4.) At the other end of your ribbon, put two velcro dots in place, about 1" a part....


5.) When you fold the velcro pieces into one another, it should look like the below picture {with a small loop at the top where the pacifer will go}....


6.) And here's your finished product....

As I already relayed, some of Ilah's previous pacifer clips bit the dust. The red one below doesn't even open and the top of the purple one kept flying right off once you closed the plastic clasp...

I decided to remove the old clasps, and just replace them with the new ones that I bought. Easy fix....


I used the super glue on the ends of the ribbon to prevent fraying....


Once all of my necessary materials were all set up, it took me about 15 minutes to do the pacifier clips....


I found the pink polka dot ribbon in one of Ilah's drawers that I saved from a gift she got. So I put it to use and made a few pacifier clips out of it.




Aside from the costly savings of making pacifier clips yourself, you also get creative control because you get to choose your own ribbon styles and set the length as to how long, or short, you want your pacifier clips to be.....



These clips are cute and functional but are to be used with close supervision and never to be left in a baby's crib or with an unattended baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...