Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's Never Too Early To Begin Saving

This week I opened up Ilah's savings account. Aside from the gifts that we received prior to her birth {and following her arrival}, Ilah was also very blessed to receive gifts in the form of cash. Instead of buying more "stuff" for her, we put that money {close to $800 given to us by family and friends} in a savings account for her that we will continue to add to as the years go on....


I love the concept of this little piggy bank {available here in different colors}. What a great way to teach your little one early on about the importance of saving, spending {wisely}, donating, and investing. Even though we probably won't buy one of the below banks, another idea is to empty out whatever piggy bank you have at the end of each month {or every 3 months} and separate the "funds" in this same visual way....


A few week ago I purchased a white ceramic piggy bank with green polkadots, for Ilah {it looks like the below piggy bank but the colors are reversed and it's a bit bigger}. Although it will be a while before Ilah will actually begin to use the bank, and grasp the concept of saving, spending, donating, and investing {and giving small offerings at church} the little piggy bank {which I purchased at Home Goods for just $6.99} was too cute to pass up {and there were only two of them on the shelf}. After I purchased it, I got home and saw that there was a chip in it : ( Thank goodness when I took it back, the only other one that I saw was still there - chip free! I'm not too keen on everything for a little girl being pink {as you can tell by how I designed her nursery} - which is why I chose the white and green color combo for a piggy bank {it will also blend well with the color scheme I used in Ilah's room}.


And just for laughs, check out this "his and her's" piggy bank {that I saw at TJ Maxx some time ago; I took the below picture on my cell phone}...

Is that not funny?!

I remember the piggy bank that I had when I was a child. Did you have one? I got money for doing chores around the house, for making good grades, for goals that I made in soccer, and I also got money on special occasions like a birthday. I can't recall if my parents every monitored how much I put in or took out. But I do remember "unplugging" the bottom of my little piggy and getting quarters out for candy : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...