Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Need of a Few Good Reads

You know how people take books to beaches, pools, parks and on airplanes? Yeah. I'm not one of those people. I'm not much of a reader. The only thing that I really enjoy reading is a menu! I find reading to be grueling - unless the topic is one that holds my interest, and even then, if it isn't written in a captivating way, I'm "over and out 10-4". I've always been that way. The odd thing is that I've always enjoyed writing. But reading. Not so much. There are very few books over the years that have graced my nightstand.

But I've been thinking lately that I need to have a few good reads.

One to be something light, airy and comical {emphasis on comical}. So last week I ventured to my local Barnes & Noble and picked up Chelsea Handler's second book {which delivers all of the above}. While although Handler is promoting her latest book "Chelsea, Chelsea - Bang, Bang" I looked at the contents - and while no doubt it's full of miles of humor - it was a bit too graphic for my taste. The below book {the second one she wrote} is a compilation of funny, real life stories that Chelsea has lived out from kindergarten into her 20's. It has become my bath time book. And yes, I have laughed out loud. Real loud.

I wanted the other book that I read to be one of spiritual substance. Yes, my nose is in two very different kinds of books. But at the moment, that's what I feel I need.

Michelle McKinney Hammond was the first Christian author whose books held my interest. They are filled with spiritual substance, yet written from a place of authentic realness and in a tone that makes you feel like you are seated with both your best girlfriend and your mentor. I had purchased nearly every book that Michelle McKinney Hammond had written but sadly, when I shipped them from California to Georgia when I moved, they got "lost" in transit. Gotta love the US postal service. I never saw the books again nor did I recoup the cost for them. I wish I had her library of books excessible in my home once again so that I could pick any one of them up and turn to a page that I intentionally highlighted for the purpose of getting spiritually fed by her words all over again.

One book of McKinney's that I never read was The Power of Being a Woman....


The contents include:
  • The power of influence
  • The pitfalls of manipulation
  • The strength of vulnerability
  • How to make up for your mate's weaknesses
  • How to take advantage of his strengths

I'm looking forward to reading, and discovering, what femininity is according to God's design.

On another note: I just started hearing the name Beth Moore a lot; I'm not aquainted with her ministry and never even heard of her up until a few months ago when it started to swirl that she was having a large conference here in Atlanta. I've read from so many fellow bloggers that she is AWESOME. Are you familiar with her? Based on what I've read about her ministering avenues, she seems like a Godly woman that is planting many seeds in the lives of women everywhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...